Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Crash Wednesday

Well, today was a big day for Catholic schools everywhere. That's right. Its Ash Wednesday, people. I can say with confidence that this is my least favorite day to wear this plaid skirt. I'm a misfit as far as Catholic school girls go. I do not attend Church and I do not claim one single religion. So, to put it simpler, I believe what I believe and that's the end of it. Now, Catholic school girls have always had a notorious reputation for submitting to bad behavior. My school does not disprove this stereotype. As I sat in church, selectively listening to the foreign preist who stood before us (Our school can never seem to find anyone capable of learning the English language) I looked around at the people who were taking a sacred pledge with God by receiving ashes. Some of those individuals ended up being the very ones who ignite that slutty Catholic school girl image. I wondered to myself what they would be giving up for lent. Perhaps the frequent sex they've been having? Although I highly doubt it. But, anyway... I chose not to receive ashes because I thought that if I did, it would put me at risk of looking like a serious hypocrite. After making this decision I had to deal with questions like: "So, do you like not believe in God?". This was a frustrating topic for me because I honestly don't know what I believe yet and its really no one else's business either. I remember in my public school days, only three or four people came into school with ashes and they stuck out like sore thumbs. Now, I was the odd man out in a sea of faces, because mine did not have a little black smudge above it. I'm okay with it. I don't fit in in my school as it is. But the straw that broke the camel's back was when I proceeded to the cafeteria with the intention of buying my usual "turkey, lettuce, and american cheese on a round roll". I approached the sandwich bar only to find a sign announcing: "Ash Wednesday: NO MEAT!". That just about did it for me. That was when I came to the realization that for the next 40 days, I will have to live without having my turkey sandwich on Fridays. It will be a true struggle, but I think I may find the strength to overcome it. So, consider this my admission that I am the Ebinezer Scrooge of the Lent Season. Countdown to Easter: 40 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment